Saturday, 31 May 2014

Mr Edwards -

I am a draper mad with love. I love you more than all the flannelette and calico, candlewick, dimity, crash and merino, tussore, cretonne, crepon, muslin, poplin, ticking and twill in the whole Cloth Hall of the world. I have come to take you away to my Emporium on the hill, where the change hums on wires. Throw away your little bedsocks and your Welsh wool knitted jacket, I will warm your sheets like an electric toaster, I will lie by your side like the Sunday roast.

Miss Price -

I will knit you a wallet of forget-me-not blue for the money, to be comfy. I will warm your heart by the fire so that you can slip it in under your vest when the shop is closed.

Mr Edwards -

Myfanwy, Myfanwy, before the mice gnaw at your bottom drawer will you say 

Miss Price -

Yes, Mog, yes, Mog, yes, yes, yes 

Mr Edwards -

And all the bells of all the tills of the town shall ring for our wedding.

I listened to this lovely BBC adaptation of Under Milk Wood over a midnight supper when I came in last night. Terrific cast playing the villagers of Llareggub (read it backwards), especially Sîan Phillips - with a face that would curdle milk - and Jonathan Pryce, as Mr and Mrs Pugh.

3 comments:

Sue said...

I love the Richard Burton recording but in 80s or maybe it was the 90s there was another recording made with Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce as the two voices, Sian Phillips as Mrs Pugh, Ruth Madoc as Lily Smalls, Tom Jones as Mr Waldo and Bonnie Tyler as Polly Garter and Alan Bennett as the voice of the guide book. I had a copy on vinyl but it's long gone. I think Anthony Hopkins was better than Burton.

Sue said...

Here you go.

mary said...

He has such a wonderful voice, Sue. Would love to see him on stage again.
Tom Jones is Capt Cat this time.