Thursday 11 February 2016


I spent this afternoon speed-reading Henry James, only to discover as I reached the end of The Bostonians that book group wasn't tonight after all. I'm still mulling it over - I need a bit of space between me and neurotic, jealous, lesbian Olive Chancellor who is such exhausting company - but already I'm wondering what happens to her after the end of the novel. I suppose she becomes a desiccated, jilted Miss Havisham.

And as I found myself in for the evening after all, I watched the first episode of Julian Fellowes' lacklustre adaptation of Trollope's Dr Thorne. (See cast in picture above.) Don't feel particularly encouraged to watch episode 2 and I don't think it's going to measure up well to these previous Trollopes. 

6 comments:

mary said...

So did I, Sue - and I love Trollope - but this is very run of the mill ITV costume drama. Do wish they'd find another picturesque village - Lacock is lovely but it crops up so often that every series looks the same.

Cosy Books said...

I'm reading Henry James's 'What Maisie Knew' with a few bloggers but wish we were getting together over tea. Chatting about the behaviour of a few characters would easily fill an evening! And thanks for the heads up about the television show...I should be watching less television anyway.

mary said...

I think there wll be spirited discussion about The Bostonians, Darlene. So agree about watching less television - remember the good old days when if you missed it on the night then you'd missed it? Do think that kept television in its place!
Haha, just this minute had phone call from a friend who - predictably - loathed The Bostonians and wants to meet for a coffee to get it off her chest!

Audrey said...

Oh, no! A few of us just read the 6 Barsets and were looking forward to it. I'm one of the Maisie readers along with Darlene and would love to be at the tea party as well. I read the Bostonians in college, decades ago, and it's long been on my re-reading list.

mary said...

What a shame you're not near enough to meet, Audrey; maybe one day? Dr Thorne isn't awful;just a bit disappointing.

mary said...

I'm looking forward to that, Sue; it's up on the site but I can't access it yet.