Monday 22 August 2016


For a lie-abed like me, there's something almost virtuous about getting up and out on a Sunday morning to go to the cinema. Yesterday I saw Captain Fantastic - which was quirky, funny, sad and as good as was promised here.  (Though the ending is a bit too glib to be believable.)
It works because there's an edge of danger. Ben is a radical hippy, raising six children in a Swiss Family Robinson fantasy of home schooling/anti-capitalist self-sufficiency/weapons training. When their mother dies, the family sets off on a road trip to gatecrash her conventional funeral.
You're never quite sure quite how crazy the father really is ...

When I resurfaced into daylight, it wasn't even lunchtime and I grabbed a sandwich, a free Waitrose coffee (the soapiest coffee in the world, yeeuuggh) and the Sunday papers and strolled along the river until it was time to go home and make dinner.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son-in-law's nick name is Captain Fantastic. Can't say that I would watch the film though. Quite decadent - going to the pictures on a Sunday morning.

Cosy Books said...

I'm just the opposite, Mary...staying awake until 11 pm makes me feel virtuous. It's a huge challenge for someone who's up at the crack of dawn more often than not.
A lovely way to spend the first half of a glorious day but buy a cup of tea next time!

mary said...

I think you should make it a family outing, Toffeeapple!

I'm such a cheapskate, Darlene - they do free tea but it has a scummy quality all its own, sampled once but never again.