Saturday 23 September 2017



I struggled with H is for Hawk; it's misery-lit with wings and claws and I'd have abandoned it except someone chose it for book group so I tried again. It wasn't a success though; unanimous thumbs-down, which doesn't often happen, and damned with the verdict: Too many feathers! Still think that cover illustration is fabulous, though.
So rather to my surprise I found myself quite enjoying the BBC TV programme (coming soon) in which Helen Macdonald trains a new goshawk called Lupin. I found her too much to take when I read the book; as if I were mentally crossing the road to avoid all that emotion. Now life has moved on and she's no longer steeped in grief; plus an hour of rural pursuits is about my limit.

8 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Oh, Mary I am surprised! I loved this book (it was part of a birthday gift several years ago) and I have left it in Ireland so I can reread it.

The programme sounds very interesting....

Mary said...

I remember starting off really well with it, Veronica- and then losing interest. I'd have far sooner read a book about her father who sounded really interesting! I think I was just the wrong reader, too much the city girl!

Anonymous said...

I have avoided it for the reason that I thought it would be too much for me; you seem to confirm my belief. I shall continue to avoid it. Thank you Mary.

christine_a said...

I too ploughed on in book group dutifulness - it really was dreary but your comment above about being the city girl may also be what spoilt it for me.

Lesley Anne said...

I'm another one who couldn't get on with this one. I don't know if it also didn't help that it was so over-hyped, perhaps I went in with too many expectations-The Essex Serpent is another highly promoted book that left me cold too.

Mary said...

Christine, I'm reminded of Nature Cure, by Richard Mabey; I gave up after after only a few pages. Just didn't want to be dragged by him!
Me too, re: The Essex Serpent, Lesley Anne. Couldn't see the point of it when you could be reading real Victorian literature.

lyn said...

I've felt ambivalent about Hawk for ages. It was hyped so much that I instinctively reacted against it & I don't read misery memoirs. But, it was available at a good price on Audible so I now have the audio book read by the author. Haven't listened to it yet but I wonder if I'll think there are too many feathers?

Mary said...

Well, I did better with the TV programme than the book, Lyn - so, good luck!