Wednesday 22 August 2018



I'm not ready to embrace autumn ... not at all ready for socks and proper shoes and the feeling that the year has hurtled away while I wasn't looking. But I'm quite happy to welcome autumnal cooking and apple windfalls and autumn telly. And I absolutely loved the first two episodes of Vanity Fair - terrific cast (Frances de la Tour makes a brilliant Miss Matilda Crawley and fat Jos Sedley is a delight), clever music, and one of my forever favourite heroines. I wasn't sure that we really needed another Vanity Fair - seems like there's a new adaptation for every decade - but this one is a treat.

5 comments:

callmemadam said...

It seems no time since the last adaptation but I am looking forward to this one. Some people find Vanity Fair a dull book but I'm not one of them.

Mary said...

I agree it seems no time at all since the last one - but I like the way it gives a sense of Becky's vulnerability as an orphan without a safety net if she takes a tumble.

Mary said...

And no way is Vanity Fair a dull book!

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

I haven't read the book but asked OH to record it for me while I was away so I have it to look forward to...

Mary said...

I'm really enjoying it, Veronica - and having fun location-spotting, too. Lovely Spitalfields houses.