Friday 16 November 2018



Has anyone read this yet? I went to a brilliant 'in conversation' event with Barbara Kingsolver at the Festival Hall earlier this week. Now to be honest, it got to 6pm and I'd been thinking about it all day but I still hadn't booked ... you know, that dark, chilly, 'can I be bothered?' feeling you get in November. I'm so glad I grabbed my coat and made the effort because it turned out to be quite the best literary event I have ever attended. (Sorry, I should have written this earlier because her brief UK  speaking tour now seems to be over.)
She is the most intelligent, thought-provoking, articulate, warm-hearted speaker you can imagine and barely drew breath for an hour and a half. No surprise that 95% of the audience was female, yet men asked most of the (long-winded) questions. Full-marks to Samira Ahmed in the chair for refusing to allow them to pontificate and man-spread over the end of the evening and bulldozing them to come to the point. If they had a point.
I loved The Poisonwood Bible, struggled with The Lacuna - but I went straight home and ordered Unsheltered which sounds fascinating.

13 comments:

Lesley Anne said...

Really pleased that you enjoyed the event- only wish I could have been there too.

A copy is currently sitting in my Daughter's Christmas stocking box (and it is beautiful with a decorated edges to the pages). I will have to make sure I borrow it when she has read it.

After reading a lot of froth and some quite unsatisfactory books this year I am getting to grips with A S Byatt's The Children's Book and it is quite a change to read an old school 'proper' novel.

Anonymous said...

I am now kicking myself for giving in to that November evening lethargy and deciding not to go...

Mary said...

I know exactly what you mean, Lesley Anne - I'm overdue for something a bit more satisfying, too. (Book group has just read Eleanor Oliphant and unanimously wished we hadn't bothered! I wish they'd put our comments on the back of the book!)
Barbara K mentioned how she loved the decorated edges - I haven't seen a physical copy but it's supposed be peeling wallpaper in an old house.

Sorry to rub it in, Anonymous. I was dithering - but I'm usually glad I made the effort. Not for PinterFour later in the week, though; I snoozed all the way through. And it was a matinée!

Anonymous said...

Ah - thanks for the advice on PinterFour. I was considering it. But I am going to Inheritance on your recommendation.

Mary said...

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Gina said...

I have loved everything I have read from Barbara Kingsolver so this will definitely be on my list!

Mary said...

I hadn't realised quite how much she's written, Gina.

Lucille said...

I will try her again on your recommendation. Loved your description of the verbal man-spreading! There's a bit of that on Book Club with Jim Naughtie - people trying to shoehorn into a question as much of their own cleverness as possible.

Pam said...

I tried The Poisonwood Bible but gave up because is was just too sad (though obviously well-written). I'll be interested to hear your report on this one.

Agree about Eleanor Oliphant. Somewhat pifflish.

Mary said...

What a lovely word - pifflish!

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Oh, I know that feeling so well, Mary - especially in November! Glad it was such a good evening.

I loved 'The Poisonwood Bible', have 'The Lacuna' but haven't read it yet; I'll be reserving this one from the library based on your comments.

Vintage Reading said...

I loved The Poisonwood Bible and Prodigal Summer but haven't been able to get on with her last few books, sadly including Unsheltered. After 50 pages I got irritated with the daughter and the overblown style which works so well in The Poisonwood Bible. I do love BK though and wish I'd heard her speak.

Sarah said...

I am listening to Unsheltered on Book at Bectine and loving it. Looking forward to seeing The Favourite too. The Oscar Wilde season on Radio 4 is proving great fun too in the run up to the dreaded C day.