Wednesday 15 January 2020



You know when you've been looking forward to a real treat, saving it up for a special occasion ... well, I've been saving my last EH Young (last, that is, aside from a handful of early works - A Corn of Wheat, Yonder, Moor Fires - that aren't so easy to find).
The title was so promising and I've loved every single one of her other novels.
Aaarggh  - but not this one! Slow - ponderous - repetitive. I'd have abandoned it except I chose it for book group, so felt I had to plod through to the end. Think I might need to bring cake!

2 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

What a shame!

I've read 'The Vicar's Daughter' twice and really enjoyed it. I have 5 other Virago editions of hers to read including the one above but it may be a while before I get to it...

Mary said...

To my surprise, it went down very well at book group, Vronni - so maybe I was setting my expectations too high based on how much I'd loved all her others. Hard to pick a favourite - Miss Mole is lovely, also Chatterton Square and William. Lucky you to have them to look forward to.