Monday 19 October 2020


 Can't say I was overly impressed at Frieze Sculpture in Regent's Park this afternoon. This, um, is a sandwich: pallid concrete Wonderloaf, indeterminate filling. Standing in opposition to traditional public sculpture, its horizontal configuration - inviting viewers to sit - opposes veneration and pomposity through its prosaic absurdity and functional accessibility. 

Which sounds very pompous to me! It's by a Young British Artist who must now be a Middle-Aged British Artist looking forward to her bus pass. But oh, the colours in the park, especially in the English Garden - which always feels so very French. The kind of day that makes me think of this.

7 comments:

Lesley Anne said...

I’m sorry it looks like someone has been fly tipping an old mattress!
The autumn colours and flowers this year have been amazing,though.
Love to see your blogs and reflections of life in town.

Mary said...

Thanks, Lesley Anne. I did wonder how many dogs had cocked their legs on it!

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Ha! I thought the same as Lesley - an abandoned mattress! I am not impressed.
xx

Mary said...

You have to laugh when you see people looking at it respectfully, Vronni! Still, it got me out of the house for a walk.

Pam said...

Yes, well it's amazing how one can fool people. I often wonder how our modern "art" will be seen by people in a couple of hundred years. Maybe their art will be even worse, of course...

Mary said...

And the banality of the ideas, Pam! But there's a Turner exhibition at Tate Britain next week - far more interesting than a concrete sandwich!

Lucille said...

First impression - mattresses too. Up there with the horrid brown metal lumps on a Tate Modern floor. Known hereabouts as the t**ds.