Sunday 9 May 2021

Uncle Matthew hated Huns, foreigners, sewers, the EU if only it had existed - and I can't abide Lily James and simpering Emily Mortimer. Even so, I was looking forward to The Pursuit of Love - oh, what a crashing disappointment. To start with - the actress who plays Fanny is sooo much much prettier than Lily James that it hardly seems fair that she gets Alfred and tweeds instead of a duc. And the anachronistic music is simply annoying. I read the book when I was exactly the right age - old enough to travel to Paris, daft enough to believe in coups de foudre at the Gare du Nord. Alas, the only man who challenged my virtue was the ticket collector on the night train from Milan - and I whacked him with a rolled-up copy of Cosmo and that was that. Perhaps I'm simply too old; I do feel Mitforded-out - but I far preferred the last adaptation of Love in a Cold Climate although I nearly passed out when I realised it was 20 years ago. I mean, I even remember the one before with Judi Dench as Aunt Sadie. I binge-watched to the end and the last clunky scene when - in the words of Emily Mortimer rather than Mitford - Aunt Emily tritely expressed the hope that Linda's and Fanny's great-grand-daughters would have more choices in life than simply to be Bolters and Stickers. Whereupon I let out a Matthew-worthy harumph at such heavy-handed womansplaining. . The clothes are nice. It's 3* from me.

12 comments:

callmemadam said...

Oh dear, this is just what I feared. The Pursuit of Love is one of my favourite books and what I've read about this 'adaptation' is not encouraging.
I also remember the Judi Dench version!

Cornflower said...

Ditto!

Julia said...

I would have thought Emily Mortimer better suited to Aunt Sadie or Aunt Emily than the Bolter but if it's your show, I guess you have free rein. I don't mind Lily James as an actress but I'm tired of her being in every period drama. I thought it was just greedy of her to take the supporting role in 'The Dig', though she was more like the Second Mrs de Winter in that than she was in 'Rebecca'!

Mary said...

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it, Callmemadam. It just seemed very heavy-handed and brash; needed a much lighter touch from the director.

Judi Dench looking harried is absolutely my idea of Aunt Sadie, Cornflower.

She's in everything, isn't she, Julia? And plays every role exactly the same. Can't imagine how any casting director would look at her and think, 'Second Mrs de Winter!"

Lucille said...

Oh no! A 3 *. I was so looking forward to it although not Lily James again. Music beds are getting me riled on all programmes as I may have ranted about before. Such inappropriate or unnecessary emotional manipulation.
So glad to have you back. Although I can’t talk, having abandoned my blog with the oddly prescient title, ‘That was Then’ in March 2020.

Mary said...

Come on, Lucille - if I can get back in the saddle, so can you. I miss blogs. Instagram isn't the same.

Simon T [StuckinaBook] said...

Oh dear! I'm going to a friend's on Monday, to celebrate being allowed to do such things, and we'll be watching this. Will reserve judgement...

Mary said...

Oh, you'll be so pleased to be out and about, Simon, you won't be distressed by the Mitfords! I'm so looking forward to next week! Places to go, people to see!

Pam said...

Oh, I quite enjoyed it, though really the main point is the narrative voice and there wasn't enough of that and it was all a bit overdone, I felt. I think L James is prettier than the other... but I'd be quite happy to look like the other myself!

Mary said...

Me too, Pam!

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Having read neither of Nancy Mitford's books I was looking forward to this. I enjoyed it; especially the costumes and Uncle Matthew/Fa! I knew neither of the actresses who played the two main parts so had no expectations, really. I did agree about the music; very odd. I have however been inspired to read the books which are sitting on a shelf calling to me but I'm in the middle of a Barbara Pym obsession and they'll have to wait...
xxx

Mary said...

I think the key to enjoying this was not to have read the book, Vronni a- and just take it on its own merits. The costumes were wonderful, I agree.