Thursday 16 September 2021

The Barn, Charleston, in Winter: Vanessa Bell Off to the Royal Academy's Summer/Autumn exhibition yesterday - which could be subtitled Britain's Not Got Much Talent - and lord knows why they still bother after 253 years except I don't suppose anyone's brave enough to ditch it. I didn't stay long but strolled down to Pall Mall to a little gem of an exhibition about Charleston, hardly a soul there and it's free to get in.
The Kitchen at Charleston, Vanessa Bell Some I hadn't seen before and some old favourites like Grace Higgens in the kitchen. I think I must feel more energetic in autumn because we also went a few days ago to Shakespeare's Globe to see a rather rumbustious Twelfth Night; I don't know why I was so surprised that there were so many people there but it was a gorgeous day. On Sunday we went to a big band concert - and that really was packed. The band was terrific, the bassist looked the spit of Winston Churchill: they normally play the kind of seaside resorts that are god's waiting room and it's not often that the rest of audience is 20 years older than me! But our feet were tapping - you can't beat the old ones!
I thought this sounded promising but found it tedious in the end. It did make me take a look back at the excruciating 60 Minutes interview on YouTube - when Hillary says she's no Tammy Wynette and you wish she'd have the gumption to slap Bill round his smug chops and stomp out.
I'd never come across Mary Lawson until she was longlisted for the Booker Prize - and there's no way I'd normally have picked this up because to me the jacket says 'Old Lady's Large Print Library Book.' Well, don't judge a book by its cover. I only started it yesterday and now I'm nearly finished - because I haven't been able to put it down. I haven't been so engrossed by a book for ages.

9 comments:

Xiaomao said...

Thank you for telling us about the Charleston exhibition - I would never have known about it and shall hot foot it up to Pall Mall as soon as possible. It's years since I went to visit the house but I remember how bewitched I was by it.
I absolutely agree with you about 'Rodham'. Such a disappointment, deeply irritating -particularly as I had so much enjoyed 'American Wife'.
And finally - what a coincidence. I have just finished reading 'A Town called Solace' by Mary Lawson. The first book by her that I have read - echoes of Anne Tyler and Elizabeth Strout - and I really enjoyed it. It just stayed on the right side of sentimental for me. I absolutely understand your 'old lady's large print library book' remark. I have ordered 'Road Ends'!

Mary said...

Hello Xiaomao, nice to see you here again. Yes, I far preferred American Wife - Laura Bush seemed a far more engaging character, surely Hillary can't be quite as dull as she seems here!
I'll definitely be reading more Mary Lawson now I've discovered her - I hope she's better served by the jacket artists for her other books! I also thought Anne Tyler - but you're right, echoes of Elizabeth Strout as well.
Hope you enjoy the Charleston exhibition. It's quite small - worth a detour rather than a special trip but I don't know how far you have to travel!

Lucille said...

Anita Klein was turned down this year by the RA. I wonder what’s going on.

Julia said...

I also feel more energised by autumn than summer. I definitely want to see the Charleston exhibition. Thank you for the Mary Lawson recommendation – that might be something to get my mum for Christmas as Anne Tyler is her favourite (I have to admit I've struggled a bit to get into her work).

Rodham was such a weird book. Amongst everything else, the idea that the American public would elect a never-married woman with no children (which I am myself) as president felt like science fiction.

Mary said...

It does seem to be getting good reviews, though, Lucille - from everyone but me! In fairness, I suppose the overall hang is less cluttered.

I felt slightly let down by the ending of the Mary Lawon, Julia - but I suppose that when you're thinking, 'Nooooo, don't do that!' it's a sure sign of being involved with the characters! If your mum likes Anne Tyler, she might well enjoy this. I miss buying books for my mum.
Rodham really was weird. You're right - I'd be out of the running for president as I have never felt the urge for children/dogs! Nor felt any need to be apologetic about it!

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Liking the sound of the Charleston Exhibition. I loved 'Crow Lake' by Mary Lawson.
xx

Mary said...

I'm definitely up for reading some more by her, Vronni.

Vintage Reading said...

Mary Lawson is a great writer. Yes London has got its mojo back after lockdown I think.

Mary said...

Yes, I think we're back pretty much to normal, Nicola - let's hope it lasts!