Monday 25 April 2022

I'm definitely one of those north/south of the river people - and I had to kickstart myself yesterday to get myself to Brixton by lunchtime. I know, three stops further than Tate Britain - but it's all in the mind! I was so glad I did because we had a fascinating tour of the house where van Gogh was a lodger in 1873/74 and may/may not have had a romance with his landlady's daughter. Or even his landlady. The house was almost derelict but has been sympathetically restored and stripped back rather than turned into a museum. It's fascinating as a glimpse of middle-class domestic architecture: the parlour where Mrs Loyer ran a little school - and kept her cane in a hidden window box; the punishment lines penned by some hapless schoolboy, discovered under a floorboard; the steep, narrow stairs up which some poor little skivvy hauled cans of water; and the thrill of standing in Vincent's best bedroom looking over the rooftops and slum dwellings in the alley behind. I'm hugely envious of the artists in residence who get to sleep there. Only half a dozen people on the tour so it all feels very intimate. And definitely worth the (very short) detour.

4 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Sounds fascinating! And I like small and intimate....

Mary said...

You could really imagine him living there, Vronni - and what a crowded household it would have been, all on top of each other! Well worth a visit.

Pam said...

Sounds interesting, but now that my daughter's moved from Walthamstow (other end of the Victoria line - absolutely all I know about how to get around London) to Chingford, I don't see us getting there... Nice to visit vicariously, though.

Mary said...

That would be a trek, Pam - shame, it would have been a breeze from the old house!