Tuesday 27 September 2022

Another book I've struggled with. It sounded so promising, too, as it's the fictionalised story of Kim Philby and the woman spy who recruited him, written by Philby's granddaughter. Fair enough,the life of real spies is nothing like as exciting as James Bond - but oh, this dragged and let's just say that Charlotte Philby is no John le Carré. It's hard work, a tricksy, fractured structure and I kept losing track of who's who and then losing interest. (If you're into housewife spies, I far preferred Ben Macintyre's Agent Sonya.) But I was interested in finding out more about Edith Tudor-Hart who seems a sad, lonely, obsessive character. This documentary Tracking Edith sounds fascinating - if only I could track it down.

4 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

I hate it when a book doesn't live up to one's expectations,too. Never mind at least there's plenty more that do!
xxx

Mary said...

I haven't had a very good run lately, Vronni - but partly it's me as I haven't had time to settle down with a book for a nice long stretch.

Sue said...

Bad luck, Mary. I'm quite glad I swerved it after reading your opinion. But, I loved Agent Sonya. BM is a very good spinner of yarns.

Mary said...

Yes, Agent Sonya was very good - and I think his book about Philby etc is on TV soon.