Wednesday 8 February 2023

I think I might be emerging from hibernation! It's amazing how a flicker of sunshine makes you feel livelier, not to mention daylight lasting until 5.30-ish ... well, I'm not a morning person and I hate that feeling of it not being worth setting out when it's only 2pm. Anyway, today I headed for a bit of colour and the Orchid Festival at Kew which, though you wouldn't think it from this image, is rather more restrained than in recent years ... a good thing, I think, because it can be a bit brash and (whisper it) vulgar. I'd far rather see orchids in their natural habitat than the splashy displays contrived from supermarket varieties from Holland. (Still plenty of these as apparently the public expects them.) But this year, taking inspiration from Cameroon, it looks a bit more natural - and the animal sculptures are still good fun. I loved the leopard and the crocodile. Last year I see that I combined my visit with the first chilly bench picnic of the year ... not today, thanks! far too much of a shock to the system stepping out from the Palm House. I nipped on the bus to Richmond for hot chocolate from here - and yes, I do find that menu deeply confusing but then I remember when coffee came in black and white.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am delighted you have not disappeared forever and were only hibernating. Over the years I have acted on so many of your recommendations and will always be grateful . I live on Merseyside so can’t always get down south etc but I pass these on to my daughter in London and she benefits too. Thank you so much for all the pleasure.

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Welcome back to the world, Mary!I'm not a fan of orchids at all. I'm off to the Guildhall tomorrow with my cousin for a day out,
xxx

Mary said...

What a lovely comment, Anonymous. I'm so glad you've enjoyed reading - and sorry I've been absent recently. Somehow the longer you leave it, the harder it is to get back. I shall try to do better!

Hope you have a good day, Vronni - I haven't been to the Guildhall in ages. Not since their NoelCoward exhibition soon after lockdown ended - when it felt quite shocking to be in the City and see how quiet how it was.

Pam said...

So pleased to see you back! I never get to anything you recommend since my London-visiting days are spent with my daughter and small granddaughter, but one day, one day... And it's interesting reading about your activities.