Monday 16 October 2023

I'm not the biggest fan of historical novels, but once in a while - and this appealed to me because it's about the gardener John Tradescant and it's nice to think that I've had tea and cake by his tomb in the Garden Museum. Oh, how wrong I was - I had steam coming out my ears reading this! Okay, so hard facts are sparse and they won't knit into a novel without a dollop of poetic licence and imagination ... but when gardener Tradescant gets ecstatically buggered by the beautiful Duke of Buckingham, favourite of two kings ... oh, give me strength, what absolute tosh, and not a shred of historical evidence. I vaguely recall reading The Other Boleyn Girl and I'm sure it was better than this - but Earthly Joys managed to be plodding and repetitive as well as silly, so I think that's me done with Philippa Gregory.

4 comments:

callmemadam said...

I might have read a book about Tradescant, so thanks for the warning!

Mary said...

Apparently, there is a sequel, callmemadam - I think I'll pass on that. I'm disappointed in Philippa Gregory, I thought she was supposed to be good.

Pam said...

Oh gosh, thanks for the warning indeed. Let me warn you about The Fair Botanists, another dollop of tosh about Edinburgh Botanic Gardens.

Mary said...

I can see why that appealed to you, Pam - sorry you were disappointed, too. I mentioned the Philippa Gregory to some history buff friends the other day - turns out three had been lured in and the unanimous verdict was that it was drivel!