Thursday 29 February 2024

Absolutely glorious... and if I'm too low-brow to meet the Guardian's high standards (another snotty review here) I truly couldn't care less. That fabulous dress - the warmth of the evening - the scent of oleander (does oleander smell? I haven't a clue) - the light shimmering on the sea - the faintly perspiring slumber of a lady who 'merely glows' ... oh, give me Flaming June over Angelica Kauffman any day. (I found the RA's Angelica Kauffman exhibition rather too worthy ... I can respect her as a woman thriving in a man's world, but her paintings spark nothing in me at all.) And what a back-story to Flaming June! Disappeared in the 1930s - rediscovered behind a false wall during building work in 1962 and separated from its frame which was considered to be more valuable than the painting - discovered again in a London antique shop by the young Andrew Lloyd Webber, whose granny refused to lend him £50 to buy 'Victorian junk'- and finally ending up in a museum in Puerto Rico. Currently on loan to the Royal Academy. (And free to get in. Unlike the worthy but ever so slightly dull Angelica Kauffman.)

6 comments:

Pam said...

She's going to have a jolly stiff neck when she wakes up...

Mary said...

No romance, Pam ... but you're probably right!

Sue said...

Lovely, Mary. You've made me want to visit.I've rather lost the will to live at the moment with all this train palaver but maybe there'll be public transport again at some point. And, that Guardian critic - what is wrong with him and his sniffy reviews ( his Singer Sargent review the other week.Honestly.).

Mary said...

Oh,that Sargent review - well, JJ certainly proves that there's no such thing as bad publicity, because the review has been slated everywhere! The Sargent exhibition is fabulous, Sue - do go, if you get a chance. I'm sorry you have transport woes - I haven't been affected recently, but oh, the roadworks ... we crawl from one hole in the road to the next.

Mary said...

If anybody is wondering where I've got to - well, possibly it's my own fault as I neglected poor blog for many weeks - but now I find that I can't create a new post. Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Hope you're all well!

Anonymous said...

Very pleased to hear from you, I was afraid you had gone for good. I wish I could help with your techie problem but haven’t a clue. When it’s solved, will you tell us if you enjoyed Dear Octopus and what you made of Sebastian Barry’s In God’s Time which I found difficult but absorbing. . Good luck
Anna