Monday 29 July 2024

I'm enjoying watching Love for Lydia on TPTV. Real, old-fashioned Sunday evening telly - and look out for a pre-Brideshead Jeremy Irons and a very youthful Maureen from Corrie. (Unfortunately, the ever-annoying Blogger is refusing to let me insert images ... It's been such a long time since I posted. Is Blogger defunct? Or just throwing tantrums? Tonight's episode reminded me how good HE Bates is on food. Well, think of all those massive dinners put away by the Larkins. We sat at the counter and ate fish and chips and separate saucers of scalding stewed peas, seasoning them from great tin salt and pepper dredgers that were like pint pots.Mrs O'Keeffe tossed the frizzling chips in the gleaming fryers and wiped her fat hands on her hips and asked me how my father was ... I was intending to post about my expedition yesterday to the excellent Edward Bawden exhibition at the Higgins at Bedford - but without pictures there doesn't seem much point! (Blogger doesn't like paragraphs either!)

8 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Hello Mary - I remember 'Love for Lydia'! I'm glad you enjoyed the Bawden exhibition at the Higgins in Bedford; I did, too. I also spotted a book entitled 'Ravilious and Co: Patterns of Friendship' by Andy Friend whilst I was in the Higgins gift shop and then found a much cheaper second-hand copy on line. I've just finished it and highly recommend it.
xxx

Mary said...

I was thinking of you, Vronni - and wondered if I was passing any of your charity shops! (I walked from the station. When I asked if there was a bus, I was told that there used to be but there was 'no demand'. From the railway station! Do people fly home? Anyway, it worked up my appetite for a very nice lunch at the museum!)
Yes, I've read that book and enjoyed it very much. I think that was after an exhibition some years ago at the Towner in Eastbourne - another arty day out!
Too hot to go out today! Yesterday we went to Kew Gardens - which apparently was the hottest place in England/Europe/the world - and we just drifted from bench to bench, melting. Managed a tour of the kitchen - one room of the Palace -and a large ice-cream!
Still picture-less here. No idea how to solve it!

Pam said...

I had the same picture problem and my son-in-law solved it by putting pictures in a Google photo album for me - and that worked. I can't tell you what he did, but could ask him if you like. But then it started working normally again. Hope it does for you!

Mary said...

I did wonder if it was simply full after so many years of blogging, Pam. I'm not sure any of my pictures are worth storing separately from the blog. Maybe I should try deleting some of the oldest and see if it creates some space.
I've been lazy about it this year - but it does seem a shame to let it slide completely after so long. It's sometimes nice to look back at the end of a year and think it wasn't entirely uneventful! And it's always nice to get comments from people who seem like friends even though we've never met.

Lucille said...

I’m in the mood for some Sunday Evening telly so will look for this.
We did go to Spirited Away but circumstances conspired against us and we had to leave at the interval but I loved the set and puppets, just didn’t quite get into the swing of it.

Mary said...

Sorry, Lucille - that must have been disappointing, especially given the ticket prices!

Pam said...

I would really miss you if you departed!

Mary said...

I'd miss everyone on here too, Pam. Still haven't solved the picture problem. I googled for instructions/help - but typically couldn't understand the answers`! Maybe I should settle for a pictureless blog but it does seem a bit flat/boring.