Monday, 24 August 2026
This was the painting - Hawksbill Bay, 2020 - that drew me to Tate Britain yesterday to catch the last day of the Hurvin Anderson exhibition. To think I nearly missed it: too hot, too cranky from being too hot, never heard of Hurvin Anderson ...it's not reproducing very well here, might be the unfortunate contrast with Mrs M's pink! Well, it was the heat-drenched colour that lured me - but the poster on the Tube, if I remember correctly, cut off the greys on one side. And this exhibition was about memory and belonging, and memory, of course, fades over time.
One of the paintings that drew me back again and again was monochrome - unfortunately this is the only image I can find. The wet,concrete unwelcome of the Birmingham where Anderson grew up ... but those reflections shimmered. (I'll own up to feeling some personal nostalgia for puddles and damp; perhaps I should revisit this in November when I've had enough!) I watched part of the the film that was being shown - Handsworth Songs - but an hour-long film proved too much as an add-on to an exhibition when all the seats were taken and I was reflecting on cups of tea ... I'll catch up with it online.
Country Club:Chicken Wire (2008) is about racial and economic segregation, keep-out, them-and-us ... but that chicken wire! Each link different, and I swear it looked as if it might bounce ... what a painter!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment