Sunday 5 December 2010

In a kitchen 200 miles away, my brother is making Welsh cakes in a sandwich toaster. (Christmas present c.1980-something, found at the bottom of the cupboard, needed a good wash.)
In a kitchen in London, I'm making Welsh cakes in a frying pan slicked with butter paper because I don't own a proper griddle and I didn't get a sandwich toaster that Christmas, think that was the year I got the foot spa.
You have to keep a very, very sharp eye on Welsh cakes or they burn.
But the second batch was very good.
Of course, it does explain why nobody in this family has a waistline.

6 comments:

rachel said...

Ah, Welsh Cake Waist - a condition much like Scone Waist. I know that one.

Perhaps you could poach salmon in the foot spa?

mary said...

What a great idea. I don't possess a fish kettle either. But I think the foot spa went to foot spa heaven many years ago. Unless it's still out in the garage. (I do hope not!)

kristina said...

I've been meaning to try Welsh cakes. And I do own a griddle (though no foot spa). Will be sure to keep an eye them now when I do. K x

mary said...

I've just gone back and inspected yours, Sue - and, given that you have a Welsh granny, I'm delighted to say that mine looked just as good! Funnily enough, I thought as I was making them that lard would be more authentic - but I didn't have any, so I used butter. How quick they are to make, though. Bit too quick, really. I can see them becoming a temptation.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Ah,I found you via Rachel. Live in Wales, no longer have a sandwich toaster, worked in London for many a year and have just been down in Oxford with daughter. Have had only vestigial waist for some time now so can hardly blame Welsh cakes as think it is slightly more likely to be down to wine.
How well you write.

mary said...

Hello, Elizabeth - and thank you. But you're right, it's the wine that's to blame!