Wednesday 24 August 2011

Doesn't this simply zing with colour? When I pulled this card from its envelope this morning I was completely bowled over ...
And to think the real thing covers 15 canvases. (That's nine feet tall x 20 feet wide, if I've converted the cms correctly.)
What clever timing ... a big David Hockney exhibition is due to open in the dankest, horriblest part of the year, right at the end of January, when if it's anything like last year, this blaze of glorious colour will be exactly what I need to raise my spirits. The painting is Winter Timber, 2009. Nice to have something to look forward to.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, isn't that glorious? I do admire his work.

Lucille said...

I haven't been following Hockney's work lately so this is very interesting. I followed some links to the story of the felled woodland which he was painting through the seasons - so this must be the result. Perhaps we could have a group outing!

scrumptious days said...

It's wonderful, what amazing colour!

Darlene said...

The purple path looks awfully enticing but slightly mysterious.

I'll be in London in a few weeks and would love to meet you if you're free. Check my blog for details and I will cross my fingers!

mary said...

Darlene, that would be lovely - and good to see Rachel again, too.
And Lucille, we really must get it together this time! I meant to contact you before I visited Dulwich the other week, but I was so much on the last minute, and I knew from your blog that you had visitors.
Sue, you can kind of understand the name-dropping. I wish I'd had the chance to meet him.

Darlene said...

Oh Mary, that's wonderful...we'll have a laugh just you wait and see! Stay tuned for details.