Wednesday 9 November 2011

I would never have thought of buying them on e-bay if it hadn't been for Jude at A Trifle Rushed. Of course, by the time a damp parcel of slightly-squishy sloes arrived from a farm in Dorset, I'd kind of gone off the idea.
I'd already bought some cheap gin. The kind that looks as if it should be kept under the sink for unblocking the drains.
I am lost in admiration for the domestic skills of other bloggers, for Charlie's delectable petits plats, dished up with a story, for Sue's quince jellies or Cornflower's literary cakes.
But I wasn't really in the mood this morning ...
I was thinking **!$@** I could have bought sloe gin in Waitrose.
Which would have been cheaper. Especially after I'd bought another bottle of gin. So as not to waste any sloes. (Look after the pennies and the pounds will squander themselves.)
Then I went out for coffee with a friend who is so completely undomesticated that she probably thought I'd been treading sloes in the bath. So I was able to show off a bit.
And when I got home and shook up the bottles, they were already turning a pale shade of garnety-pink. (I'm not sure about the Tesco Value label. Should I have soaked it off? No ... I think I like that Delia goes Dipsomaniac aesthetic. It's very moi.)

Now ... do you think they sell quinces on ebay?

10 comments:

mary said...

Next year, Sue!

scrumptious days said...

Mary, I made 8 more bottles yesterday, with Irish sloes - picked by my family . (it involved buying 5 botlles of cheap gin - how dreadful).
However, I know the gin will be vastly superior to anything from Waitrose!
I did see quinces at the market in Kingston last week, if that helps.
What I really want to try are Medlars, I've read about them, but have never seen one!

mary said...

Heavens, Jude ... you must really, really like sloe gin!
I don't know where you'd get medlars unless you grew them yourself. All I know is that they have to be bletted.

scrumptious days said...

I will be giving most of the bottle away! Please be assured I'm not quaffing them all myself!

Mise said...

The thing about making it yourself is that you get a wonderful sense of smugness that no money will buy. I am admiring your list of books read to the right there; it is my line of reading pretty much exactly.

mary said...

Hello, Mise. You're quite right, that smug sense of superiority is priceless. And unlike Jude, I have every intention of drinking quite a lot of it myself!

Anonymous said...

My Sloe gin has been sitting quietly mellowing since August so it should be ready by Christmas.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

You nearly lost me on line 3 . I first read "a damp parcel of slightly-squishy SHOES" and wondered whether I dare read further !
I'm full of admiration for your enterprise and expect it will be well worth it . Sounds delicious .

Anonymous said...

Mary I hope you pricked each sloe nine times with a pin... Or it might be seven. I'm sure it will be delicious. The sloes have been in glut formation here this year, and the size of small plums, never seen the like.

mary said...

Nine times, heavens, no - once with a cocktail stick, does that count? I must hide it away because gin left out on the kitchen table is far too tempting. Devon sloes must be tops, Lynne, as mine were nothing like the size of plums!