Sunday 7 September 2014



Bring Me Sunshine ... at least I hope so, because I've spent the afternoon planning a little jaunt, starting with a night of Art Deco glamour at the Midland Hotel, now restored to its Streamline Moderne glory. Will I meet Poirot shuffling down the corridor with his spongebag?

I've been wanting to visit, if only for tea, ever since the hotel reopened a few years ago. (You can read more about it here and here.)

I think I last visited Morecambe c1975 and even then people were cracking jokes about watching the traffic lights change.

This afternoon I discovered this old Alan Bennett play. If you go to 47.34 you'll see his elderly couple, newly retired to Morecambe - surely based on his Mam and Dad - having tea at the old shabby genteel Midland. Look out for the Eric Gill mural. Then they're off for a run up to Windermere, which is where I'm heading next.

By 'eck ... it made me feel ancient.

Now can anyone recommend somewhere for a nice cup of tea and a nice clean loo?

5 comments:

Lucille said...

Might this site help?
http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/

mary said...

That will only set me off again on my quest for the long lost Barmouth biscuit, Lucille!

Anonymous said...

I thought that site only did biscuit recommendations...

Dear Alan Bennett, he talks me to sleep most evenings.

Sue said...

I am sure you must know about this, but Tebay Motorway Services is my (rather improbable) recommendation. Have a good trip.Sue

mary said...

Only joking, Toffeeapple! But thanks, Sue ...