Saturday 29 August 2015


I think I have a new favourite bookshop, now that the book barge is permanently moored by the canalside steps at Granary Square. On a blazingly hot day a couple of weeks ago, I went on board and had a lovely sit-down and a read in a comfortable armchair. (Last year the steps were lined with thousands of pumpkin lanterns for Hallowe'en and it looked amazing. I do hope they repeat it this year.)  
If you're in the vicinity and looking for a takeway cuppa, and you're not in a hurry - there's a lot of faffing about with tea filters - they do an excellent brew here. I'm a plain English Breakfast/Assam girl, and it's not often you get a plain cup of tea that's full of flavour ... so maybe the faffing method beats dunking a teabag in a mug! 

4 comments:

Lucille said...

That doesn't look like London! I'm intrigued. A new place to visit.

mary said...

It's amazing how that area has changed, Lucille. I used to change buses there on my way home from work - many years ago - and it was sordid in those days. I love the fountains, I had great fun there with some young friends.

Cosy Books said...

Wow, Mary...such a wonderful find! We just might have to put a hold on visiting the gallery together and hit this place instead - and no skipping the cup of tea.

mary said...

You'd love the book barge, Darlene. You'd be begging them to make you up a bed for B&B. (Now there's a thought.) Also, if you wander down Euston Road - a horrible walk in noisy traffic, I admit - you would love the Wellcome reading room which is an oasis of calm and lovely armchairs. With a cafe selling perfect warm scones and homemade strawberry preserve. The current sexology exhibition might spoil your appetite, though!