Sunday 31 January 2016


There have been some sniffy reviews of Trumbo, the biopic about Dalton Trumbo, the highest-paid screenwriter in Hollywood - who couldn't be credited for his screenplay of Roman Holiday during the McCarthy era, and was only reinstated after Kirk Douglas and Otto Preminger publicly acknowledged in 1960 that he wrote Spartacus.
It won't be on my personal Oscar list, I don't think, but even so I was completely engrossed by it this morning. (And that's saying something: I am so not a morning person or even a daytime person until I'm fully caffeinated.)
And I do think that Helen Mirren as the utterly poisonous Hedda Hopper should win a special award for her fabulous Hollywood hats.
Meanwhile, I'm feeling appalled at myself that January is nearly over and I haven't been to a single exhibition - or even seen a film, until today. Think it's time that I declared my winter hibernation over. If the daffodils are out ... so should I be!

9 comments:

Lucille said...

Will you be seeing Youth? And what did you think of The Dressmaker? A runaway horse of a film I thought but strangely enjoyable in parts if you could grab the reins.

mary said...

Haven't seen either of those Lucille. I'm more tempted by Spotlight and The Big Short.

Pam said...

I adored A Notable Woman. Please start going to things again because you're my personal London advisor for things to visit when we visit our daughter who (very sadly, as far as we're concerned) lives in London. (I'm sure it's a nice place to live. But it's a long way from us, in Edinburgh.) (You possibly didn't realise your pivotal role in our lives.)

mary said...

I'm shouldering my responsibilities, Pam - spent this afternoon at the RA's fabulous Modern Garden exhibition and it's only just opened so you've plenty of time to visit your daughter! Only wish I had the chance to visit Edinburgh more often as it's one of my favourite cities.
I'm about 500 pages into Notable Woman - but, oh, wouldn't you want to shake her sometimes!

Cosy Books said...

I don't think this is for me but never say never...Helen Mirren could be reason enough.

mary said...

It's an interesting story, Darlene. I don't think you'd be bored - even if LA is not your spiritual home! BUt on the plus side, I saw trailer the other day for new series of Home Fires which is more you.

mary said...

PS Lucille, If you see this - reliable friend has just been to Youth and says don't bother!

Pam said...

Oh, glad to hear that you're exhibitioning again. I shall duly take note.

No, I don't think I did want to shake JL Pratt exactly, but I did sigh a lot when she fell for yet another hopeless chap. I have a cousin whom she reminded me of: always madly in love with someone, always making it far too obvious. And they all scarpered. It's such a pity that JL never knew that her diaries had been published and read and reviewed. (Though if I'd written them, I don't think I'd want them to be!)They do make for riveting reading, if you're nosey. Which I am.

mary said...

I really enjoyed Painting the Modern Garden at the RA, Pam; will write something soon - but it is vast!

She seemed almost to expect that they would be published, didn't she? And yet there's no sense of her holding back; rather she seems to have held back in her MO diary which was anonymous. I'm with you, Pam; I wouldn't want mine published - especially not when I had younger relatives still alive! (Well, mine would snigger terribly at revelations of love affairs!) I did find it a real page-turner and you can't help feeling involved in her problems. Actually, I rather identified with her bossy friend N who was always trying to sort her out!


It would be such a great book group book, wouldn't it - if only people didn't wilt at the length!