Friday 26 May 2017



I was too hot - too tired - not in the mood - I thought it sounded bonkers and couldn't remember why I wanted to go in the first place ... but I'd already got my ticket so I dutifully set out this evening to see An Octoroon inspired by Boucicault's play that caused a sensation in 1859 ...
And it turned out to be quite mad and absolutely hilarious and very clever. What a shame that the tiny Orange Tree Theatre was only one-third full (and quite a few left at the interval including the lady next to me who clearly didn't get it.)
The Guardian called it 'bizarrely brilliant' and they're right. I do hope they get a fuller house when the weather cools down.

2 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

I'd never heard of this play but I do know the theatre. My friend had a play she had written put on there and we went to see it; I had a hangover...it was very hot and stuffy but the play was brilliant.

Mary said...

They have some very good shows there, Veronica; this play was about race/slavery and it's one of the most interesting new plays I've seen in ages. I always enjoy going there; at least if I get a downstairs seat - the upper gallery is not designed for comfort!