Saturday 4 November 2017

I'm still here - but my geriatric Mac is dead and buried and there have been countless traumas getting me up and running on a new one. Bereft of timewasting technology, I've been reading big, fat books - like I did in the olden days! And going out instead of watching TV. And then binge watching all of Howards End and Alias Grace as soon as I was restored to the 21st century.

Yesterday I made it to a delightful exhibition Poster Girls at the Transport Museum. (I love the Transport Museum shop and coveted the gorgeous scarves inspired by Underground station colours.)

Arnrid Banniza Johnston, 1930
I loved this, with the animals feeding Cockney Vulgaris, the caged Mayfair Beauties, Great Crested Magnates and the Common Undergraduate ... Look at the bored hippo watching a judge cavort on a swing. And the bears throwing cigars - not buns - to the Parliamentarians.

Vera Willoughby, 1928
This art-deco sunburst does feel joyful - and in 1928 a courting couple could enjoy a ciggie en route.

Herry Perry, 1931

So stylish.
Nancy Smith, 1922


Alma Faulkner, 1928

Travel by Underground in that lovely new dress? It'll be grimy by the time she gets home ...

Gaynor Chapman, 1962
In 1962, London Transport was urging us to explore village churches because 'one might boast an odd piscina.' I fear that this might be setting the bar rather high for passengers today.

2 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Oh God, technology...I just hate it sometimes. I was wondering where you had gone but thought you might have been on holiday. Good to have you back.

Persephone books reviewed this exhibition recently and it's on my 'to visit' list when I'm next in London for a day of culture. I checked out the scarves; they are beautiful but way too expensive!

Mary said...

I am so not tech-minded, Veronica. If only it had been a holiday!
Those scarves are pricey - I didn't buy, if only because I'd be sure to lose it!