Wednesday 14 March 2018



I loved this film when it first came out last year but at the time, there was little chance of seeing it outside London. Suddenly I see posters everywhere and it seems to be on wider release as of next week but the English title has been changed from the unwieldy Fifty Springtimes to I Got Life. Highly recommended and I might even go again. Miles, miles better than the clunky Finding Your Feet that squandered a brilliant cast (Imelda Staunton, Celia Imrie, Timothy Spall, all boosting their pensions!) on a hackneyed, patronising script.

4 comments:

Sue said...

Well, if you're recommending, Mary, I might give it a whirl. I saw a trailer at the Arts Picturehouse last week and did think it looked a bit eurgh. But, you are usually spot on with your recommendations...

mary said...

I hope it wasn't just that I was in a good mood on the night, Sue! But I seem to recall that people were chatting on the way out about how they enjoyed it.

Lucille said...

Oh wasn't it dreadful? Cliché ridden from beginning to end. I was muttering their lines and plot developments ahead of them and my only moment of engagement was when I wondered whether Joanna Lumley's hair had finally been allowed to go grey naturally or whether it was a wig. And also. Spoiler alert. How utterly improbable was that sanitised trajectory to the death bed scene?

mary said...

Oh, it was awful - I was also muttering the predictable script - and I so resent that's the way our age group is portrayed. I refuse to be a chirpy pensioner! To be fair, the friend I went with loved it- but she is incurably soppy!