Wednesday 14 March 2018

Rimon (Pomegranate), Tal Shochat 2011

So perfect, you'd think it was plastic. Israeli photographer Tal Shochat (on her own? or with a squad of helpers? I couldn't help wondering) polished every twig, leaf and fruit on this pomegranate tree to achieve perfection. (And then rigged up a black background.) I am awestruck at the thought of going into the orchard with a can of Pledge and a yellow duster - when I so rarely attack my own bookshelves - and accept that I simply don't have the patience to be an artist and had much better put my creative urges to making cake!
The photograph is in the V&A's Into the Woods exhibition of tree photography. If you're at the V&A anyway for their ocean liners exhibition - which I enjoyed very much, but haven't got round to writing up - you'll find this tiny free exhibition in the next gallery and it's worth a 10-minute detour.

2 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Wow - this is lovely but I'm not sure if it's life size or a miniature - like a Bonsai tree? Anyway, next time I'm in London and not on a walking trip I will definitely go back to the V & A...

Mary said...

I think it's a full-sized tree, Veronica. So much to see at the V&A - I'm sure there's corners upstairs that Ive never explored. The ocean liners exhibition is good if you haven't been yet.