Sunday 29 March 2020



Suddenly struck me that this lovely book would be the perfect Coronavirus read - although lockdown in a Moscow hotel is a sight more social than lockdown in a London flat.

However, little things are immensely cheering. I was thrilled when I discovered daffodils (as rare as tinned tomatoes!) on my last jaunt to Sainsbury's for milk. And when they opened, they turned out to be the prettiest daffodils I've had this year, pale with peachy centres - so much nicer than the brash yellow ones.

6 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

I'm not a fan of daffodils but yours sound lovely. I like the sound of that book, too.

Mary said...

How can you not be a fan of daffodils, Vronni? Even the brash ones are cheery! I loved the book - how strange to think I was reading it on a beach this time two years ago! Just as well we can't foresee the future.

Mary said...

PS I hope you're not suffering too badly from charity shop withdrawal symptoms! But at least you won't run out of outfits any time soon.

Sue said...

I have that next on my TBR pile (well, one of the piles...) aswell.At the moment I'm reading Hugo Vickers biography of Cecil Beaton - much needed escapism. I think you are quite right about the flowers, Mary. I panic bought some the other day and felt much better for it.

Mary said...

Oh, Cecil Beaton sounds just the thing, Sue. I'd love to be panic-buying flowers instead of tomatoes. Unfortunately, the two supermarkets closest to home are a tiny Sainsbury's and a dreary Co-op that only stocks the dead and dying.

Gina said...

I mentioned that very same book in a blog post a week or so as being similar to our current situation!