Sunday 27 February 2022

Feeling a twinge of guilt for spending a sunny afternoon lying on the bed with a book - but not too much! I'm so enjoying this wartime tale of the dreary Rosamund Tea Rooms (no longer a Tea Rooms but a boarding house) in Thames Lockdon (Henley-on-Thames). Sarah Waters called it 'one of the funniest novels I have ever read' and David Lodge called it 'one of the best novels about the second world war.' I'm finding it all reminiscent of London Belongs to Me - another from the same era which I loved. Must get back to it or Mr Thwaites will be eyeing up my butter ration.

5 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

I've only read 'Hangover Square' which I thoroughly enjoyed and still have '10,000 Streets' to read. I like the sound of this one!
xxx

Mary said...

I have those two on my list, Vronni!

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Just realised it's '20,000 Streets' not 10,000!!

catlover said...

So good to find another fan of this brilliant book!

Mary said...

Hello, Catlover. This was the first of his that I've read - I'm definitely a fan now.