Thursday 3 February 2022

It seems a long time since I last visited Two Temple Place - no exhibition last year - and I must admit that I was more drawn by affection for one of the quirkiest interiors in London, the magnificent staircase and stained glass windows, than by the promise of this year's exhibition of black women ceramicists. Turns out I really loved the work of Magdalene Odundo ... now if only I lived somewhere like Kettle's Yard! But this is definitely an exhibition of two halves. The earlier work by Odundo and Nigerian potter Ladi Kwali - who's so famous she features on banknotes - seems to embrace tradition and modernity and it was interesting reading about the matrilineal handing down of skills and the influence of British studio pottery at a time when Africa was breaking free from colonialism. But in the upstairs gallery ... oh, dear, it's all statements about gender, and ceramic torsos and a video of a scrawny woman writhing in mud. What's wrong with a beautiful pot? The staircase remains stunning. (Sadly the very good cafe where I once devoured a memorable quince cake isn't open this year.)

2 comments:

Pam said...

Yup, I much prefer the beautiful pots too. Am left somewhat bewildered by the other sort of thing.

Mary said...

It all seems rather desperate and trying too hard to be different, Pam! Neither use nor ornament!