Sunday 19 March 2023

I'm a bit late to the bowl of dumplings - but I so loved this beautiful series about two best friends who set out to be maiko (apprentice geishas) in Kyoto; one has a natural aptitude, but the other - despite her sunny, cheery nature - is too clumsy ever to be an elegant geisha. But when her cooking skills are discovered, she becomes the cook for the maiko house ... what a delight, the marketing, the knife skills, the care lavished on even the simplest dish - and the close-ups of food, oh, you can almost smell the aromas wafting out of the screen! Not to mention the insight into modern geisha life, the elegant kimonos and make-up and dancing - and the sacrifices involved. Imagine having to be simultaneously a corps de ballet student and a novice nun, whilst living in a boarding school dorm, maintaining perfect hair and make-up plus cultivating a head for strong drink. Such a lovely gentle series. I do love a foodie movie - and this is up there with classics like Eat Drink Man Woman and Babette's Feast.

4 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

All I can say, Mary, is that they deserve a medal each for that balancing act! The film sounds fascinating...
xxx

Mary said...

It's a series, Vronni - a very enjoyable binge watch!

Lucille said...

I shall return to this series and your other recommendations. Particularly interesting now that my son has left Tokyo for a job in Kyoto. I went there for my 60th and nurture hopes of another visit for my 70th.

Mary said...

OH, well you really must watch this, Lucille! How exciting! I've never been to Japan.