Friday 6 April 2012

If you are very, very quick there is just about time to watch this brilliant documentary about Jonathan Miller who was once described as a man who plays with the world like a child with a box of Plasticene.
He doesn't like being called a polymath or Renaissance man and says that he feels like a lapsed Catholic every time he passes a hospital, full of regrets for giving up his career in medicine.
And he mentions that as a small boy he used to watch his mother writing but he thought she was a typist.
I'm old enough to remember the sheer exhilaration of his 1982 production of Rigoletto. It's still one of the best theatrical experiences I've ever enjoyed.
And I completely agree with the person who said that people like Miller should live to be 200.

2 comments:

scrumptious days said...

I absolutely loved the Rigoletto, the very best opera I have ever seen, nothing has matched it. I'm not sure if we'll be able to get the documentary here, but we'll try tomorrow evening.
Have a wonderful Easter,
Guess what we're eating with our lobster... Soda bread! yay! Jude x

mary said...

Lobster and soda bread, how wonderful, Jude.