Wednesday 7 January 2015



Is there such a thing as blog-blight? Well, there's definitely been a slump here lately and it's because I've hardly left the house, trying to keep a sternly encouraging eye on builders who were supposed to be finished at the start of December.
I'm hoping the end is in sight ...
Meanwhile, it perked me up enormously to settle down last night with yet another ready meal, a bottle of wine and episode one of Wolf Hall.
I've read the book twice, seen both of the stage plays, so you'd think I might have reached Wolf Hall saturation point. Absolutely not ... it's brilliant. I've had a bit of a girl-crush (okay, a hot flush grande passion) for Thomas Cromwell since I first read the book and Mark Rylance is just right.
The historical detail is stunning. The period settings are superb. I wasn't perturbed by the over-dainty codpieces, supposedly there to placate timorous American audiences. (I doubt I'd even have noticed.) But I had a beady eye on table napkins and what they were eating ... I'm sure whoever made that grand sallet would like to know that I played it back three times squinting at the ingredients. (I'm definitely up for a Thomas Cromwell cookbook.)
Now I'm itching like a Tudor flea to see episode two.

4 comments:

mary said...

They've only briefly appeared so far, Sue. Thomas More (Lesser) is quite chilling, very grey and desiccated. I have a bit of a problem with Damien Lewis as his mouth makes me squirm - and not in a good way!

Anonymous said...

So pleased that this is worth the wait. When is it screened on television? Lisa

mary said...

Hi Lisa. Think it's 21st.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for TV info. Just enough time to re-read Wolf Hall (again)! I do appreciate your blog posts , you are so informative . Thank you so much . Lisa