Friday 15 December 2017



Did we need another adaptation of Little Women? Oh, maybe not - but so far (I've only seen the first episode) I'm really enjoying this lavish BBC version by Heidi Thomas. Emily Watson is exactly right as Marmee. Ethan Hawke/Uma Thurman's daughter (that conveys absolutely nothing to me, but maybe you're better up on Hollywood pedigrees than I am!) ... anyway, she is exactly right, too, as Jo. Angela Lansbury turns up as Aunt March, with a good heart underneath the crustiness. And Michael Gambon is old Mr Laurence. All that was missing was a box of Quality Street and a sherry but I made inroads into the first stollen of the season - so successfully that I finished it off for breakfast. Oh dear, that wasn't meant to happen quite as soon as this!

4 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

It's very hard to resist a Stollen, Mary!

I just haven't fancied watching 'Little Women'. I loved the book so much I'm scared they'll ruin it...

Mary said...

I have no self-control, Veronica! Thought I was marzipanned-out as I've made vast quantities of the stuff in the last week or so - but stollen proved irresistible!

Have you never watched Little Women??? None of the films? There have been so many over the years - but I thought this one was rather good, and not as cloying as the Susan Sarandon version - when I'm afraid, having a heart of stone, I guffawed at Beth's deathbed. Haven't got as far as the deathbed yet, expect that will be episode 2 as the trailer was showing Meg's wedding.

Anonymous said...

I'm bound to watch this, living in hope. I really disliked the Susan Sarandon version. Marmee was nothing like she is in the book and they most unfairly made the Professor much more attractive than Laurie. Cheat!

mary said...

I'd forgotten that until you reminded me, Callmemadam. It was Gabriel Byrne: a gorgeous Professor Bhaer, completely wrong! The new one hasn't made his entrance yet.