Sunday 17 December 2017



The Sunday morning film club - that's all two of us - has gone wild this week and we went to the early show on a Saturday evening instead. I wasn't sure what to expect from this French film - and although I've been forgiven, neither of us has forgotten my choice of the year's worst movie, possibly the weirdest and the worst we've ever seen ... yes, that'd be the one about the cannibalistic mussel-harvesters, maybe I've mentioned it before.  However, tonight we struck lucky and Soleil Battant was poignant and delightful, based on a real tragic secret in the family of the two sisters who co-directed. The beautiful six-year-old twins at the centre of the story were amazingly natural actors. It would spoil it if I said more, as we agreed we were glad to come this without preconceptions and there was a very interesting Q&A with the directors at the end. No chance of seeing it in cinemas - this was one night only, as far as I know - but you can see it online here.

2 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Love the sound of this one...

mary said...

Shame it didn't get wider distribution, Veronica. I think the link I gave only worked for a couple of days while the film festival lasted.