Monday 6 April 2020



Barbara Pym started to write Crampton Hodnet in 1939, put it aside for the duration, then felt it seemed too old-fashioned - so it wasn't actually published until after her death. I've always been a bit lukewarm about her novels and can only tolerate her vicars' groupies in small doses. But I'm not in the mood for anything long and involved at the moment and yesterday 'Barbara Pym' pinged into my mind ... and spinsters, curates and gossip turned out to be just what I needed. Finished in one sitting! I might even read another one.  

6 comments:

Cosy Books said...

I remember laughing out loud at parts of No Fond Return of Love, my favourite Pym so far. Feeling the same way here, Mary. Books are either too heavy, too light, too this or that. A new Sarah Waters would hold my attention but she's keeping us waiting, isn't she.

Mary said...

Yes, that would be ideal, Darlene -something with a good story! Can't deny that Hilary Mantel is a good story - but so hard to get comfy in a chair with something so heavy!

Anonymous said...

I love Crampton Hodnet, I think I like most of her work in fact. I have decided not to read the latest Mantel but have instead got myself a real book about Cromwell, by Diarmaid Mac Culloch. It is surprisingly accesible.

I was reading the latest Phllip Pullman before this crisis hit but my daughter suggested that it was making me sadder day by day and suggested another re-reading of Terry Pratchett's Discworld from the start, in order. I am enjoying it so very much, she is wise beyond her years!

Mary said...

I haven't read the latest Philip Pullman, Toffeeapple; but I remember The Amber Spyglass being terribly sad. Hope you're keeping well.

Lucille said...

All my Pyms have disappeared. I wonder if I gave them to my brother who is a huge fan. Pretty sure i never had this one. i will add it to my list of featherweight reading. I’m drifting through Molly Keynes at the moment. They are all merging. Someone reminded me to watch Mapp and Lucia and I have one day to catch Jane Eyre. So much to keep up with.

Mary said...

Only one day left for Jane Eyre! Can't see me managing that today. Doesn't the week go quickly when you're doing nothing!