Wednesday 8 April 2020



I've been looking out for this for ages and my expectations were sky-high as I loved One Fine Day. What I didn't realise was that it was written in the 1920s when Mollie Panter-Downes was only 16. It was a huge best-seller, advertised on buses and was serialised in the Daily Mirror (which should have told me something!). Well, let's just say that it's a very 16-year-old novel - paragraph after paragraph  of flowers, ravishing clothes and chaste romance.
'There was something in this boy that called to her as insistently as a voice.
He spoke first, and he spoke gaily, as if they had been friends for years.
"I say, what ripping feet you have."
I wonder if Daily Mirror readers guffawed like I did?
Or whether a few years after WW1, it was delicious escapism.

No comments: