Friday 10 April 2020



This hilariously funny black comedy from Dublin's Abbey Theatre and the Royal Court centres on  Stephen Rea, as a bigoted Orangeman who thinks his baby granddaughter is Gerry Adams.
Now, a word of warning ... this isn't for everyone, the Daily Mail critic hated it and if you're such a snowflake that you need a trigger warning hotline before you venture to the theatre, perhaps you'd be better off with online Jane Eyre from the NT. (Trigger warnings: orphans, burnt porridge, housefires,  overbearing males ... )
But congratulations to the Royal Court for not playing safe. Shrieks of laughter here. You can watch it online here. 

4 comments:

Xiaomao said...

I saw this at the Royal Court - and loved it so I'm delighted to have another chance to see it in all its surreal comic glory. These streamed plays are one of the few benefits of the lock down. I didn't go to Jane Eyre when it was playing at the National - three hour running time! But it seems more manageable with the pause button...

Mary said...

I'd love to have seen it in the flesh, Xiaomao. I dithered last night over Jane Eyre and opted for this instead - it's definitely the best of the streamed plays that I've sampled. I couldn't get on with the whistleblower one from Hampstead - gave up after 10mins - can't abide James Corden and reports back from friends were that nobody lasted longer than 10mins with that either. Wind in the Willows I lasted all of 30 seconds but I guess I'm not the target audience!
Hope the Royal Court put on some more - it was great that they went for something challenging rather than mass appeal at the National.

Xiaomao said...

I did persevere with the whistleblower one from the Hampstead Theatre. Like you I nearly gave up after ten minutes mainly because I thought the woman was so mannered and weird. However, it turned out that she was supposed to be mannered and weird and once I got past that I enjoyed it. I gave up on the miners one (wonderland?) I'm ashamed to admit.

Mary said...

I wish I'd persevered now, Xiaomao - it was definitely the woman that put me off. I haven't tried the miners yet. You don't get a very long window, do you?