Thursday 13 November 2014

It was 1am before I headed stickily to bed having - as ever - started the whole project far too late in the day. The scent of quinces and rosewater wafted from the kitchen last night, spreading into
every room and I'm beginning to understand Sue's passion for quinces.

I only had half a dozen, rather small ones ... but now I have more than 70 little quince sweetmeats, to be sugared and layered in a tin as soon as I get tired of them cluttering my worktops! (Best hide them soon as I have a little nibble every time I put the kettle on.) They are loosely inspired by two historic recipes - 17th and 18th century - a dollop of Jane Grigson for common sense - and once you've achieved a gloopy, red mess, then wing it and hope for the best.  
I wish I could have tied them into lover's knots (any advice, Sue?) but they were too floppy and sticky so what I ended up with is the 17th century Rowntree's fruit pastille.

I'd love to display them in a little sugar basket. I might have a bash at something less ambitious tomorrow.

Now dusted with sugar and cinnamon and stashed away out of temptation and, though I say so myself, my quince sweeties are delicious. (Actually, everybody who's had a taste has been enthusiastic.) Now, if only I had some more quinces ...
Maybe I should to move to a house with a quince tree.

2 comments:

mary said...

You did, Sue - and yours was delicious. This is basically the same thing, maybe a bit stiffer. I'm dusting them with sugar/cinnamon. Sticky job, though, you have to be in the mood!

Lucille said...

The nearest I have ever got to this delicious sounding sweet was Newberry Fruits. I don't know if you can still get them (and I doubt they would taste the same) but my Grandma used to have a box every Christmas. They were sugar dusted fruit jellies with a liquid centre. I liked the greengage ones best.