Sunday 14 November 2010

There's two books that I've enjoyed far and away above anything else I've read this year, so I'm delighted that they've won Galaxy National Book Awards.
I know I've harped on about them before. But for sheer brilliance of story-telling it doesn't get any better for me than Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall and The Hare with Amber Eyes, by Edmund de Waal, awarded Galaxy New Writer of the Year for his riveting family history.
The Hare with Amber Eyes is the book that has made me want to jump up and down and tell people, 'You've simply got to read this!'
I'd jump up and down about Wolf Hall, but nearly everybody I know has already read it!

2 comments:

Minnie said...

Agree with you about 'Wolf Hall'. Yet another blogger praising Edmund de Waal's family memoir? I must read it! Esp. as Béatrice Ephrussi de Rothschild's villa is not far away.
Greetings from France.

mary said...

Oh, you must read it Minnie - if you're able to walk past their houses, it will come so alive for you. Even though I'm not familiar with the streets, I felt I was there in Charles's drawing room, his paintings so well-known to me from art galleries.