Sunday 27 September 2015


It has been the most delightful weekend of golden, sunshiney autumn and this is where I was yesterday -


At a museum started by two elderly sisters ...


 In the old village school beside the duck pond in the artists' village of Ditchling.



 I was rather taken by these curtains for the Festival Hall dyed with madder, blackberry tips, indigo and weld. 

And wondered whether I'd be too precious ever to use a garden roller carved by Eric Gill.

I was very pleased to come across Tirzah Garwood's The Crocodile. Having a healthy schoolgirl appetite myself, despite having enjoyed a large breakfast (bacon, egg, sausage, mushrooms, black pudding and fried bread), I was by now just about ready for coffee and a large slice of carrot cake.

Later, in the afternoon, I strolled through an English vineyard, wished for the umpteenth time that I hadn't managed to kill off the grapevine in my garden - and enjoyed a sip of this.

4 comments:

Katharine A said...

I have always wanted to go to Ditchling Museum. Saw a documentary about Eric Gill in the last year, he wasn't portrayed as a good dad. This has coloured how I look at his work now, but you can't deny how amazing it is.

mary said...

I know what you mean, Katharine.Every time I looK at his work, I think, 'Dirty old man!'

Cosy Books said...

Sounds wonderful, Mary, but the description of your mouth-watering breakfast has made me a lot less enthusiastic about my simmering pot of oatmeal.

mary said...

I know, it was porridge this morning for me , too - and I'd much prefer sausages and fried bread! Such a treat, I hadn't had fried bread for ages. Was a staple of my childhood. (Irish mother welded to her frying pan!)