Saturday 30 April 2016


Meryl Streep clearly had enormous fun playing Florence Foster Jenkins, the heiress who was the world's worst opera singer and I'm convinced that she must have studied at the feet of Hyacinth Bucket ... her operatic soirées are so like dear Hyacinth's candlelight suppers. The scriptwriter (best known for Midsomer Murders and episodes of The Bill) appeared at the end and claimed that if not precisely factually correct, the story has 'truthiness' ... what a horrible word! It was good fun (though I think I might have edited out the jarring details about Florence's syphilis, even in the interests of 'truthiness').
Incidentally, all those wonderful shots of New York ... they're all filmed in Liverpool.
But I still preferred Marguerite, the recent French take on the same story - played with a far lighter touch, it brought out the poignancy of the story rather more subtly. Did anyone see see Maureen Lipman playing the same role in the stageplay?  I don't even recall it being on but I can so imagine her doing it.

6 comments:

Audrey said...

I hadn't heard of this movie, or the story behind it, but now I'll look for both versions! It must be a wonderful story.

mary said...

Strange to have the two versions out on each other's heels, Audrey; Maybe the US release date is later if you haven't heard of FFJ - it's being plugged all over the place here.

Audrey said...

Yes, just found it - August. :)

mary said...

Oh well, something to look forward to! The other film Marguerite was released several weeks earlier over here - but was more art-house, so not so widely available.

Lucille said...

I am sure I saw Maureen Lipman in Glorious. I even checked my diary and saw that I had written down the Duchess Theatre phone number in the margin on December 17th 2005 but for some reason, there is no note of the performance.
I enjoyed Marguerite and look forward to seeing Meryl Streep's version.

mary said...

You are organised, Lucille! Last time I saw her was in Oklahoma which was even longer ago.
Glad you enjoyed the film - strange that two came along together like that..