Monday 6 March 2017



Can't remember when I last enjoyed anything on television as much as this - but the new BBC adaptation of Evelyn Waugh's Decline and Fall is quite perfect. Jack Whitehall is absolutely right as the hapless Paul Pennyfeather - 'I expect you'll become a schoolmaster, sir. That's what most of the gentlemen does that gets sent down for indecent behaviour' - David Suchet is headmaster of the third-rate public school where he ends up teaching and Douglas Hodge is his boozy colleague Captain Grimes who always ends up 'in the soup.'

2 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

When was it on, Mary, I've missed it! I loved 'Vile Bodies' and 'Scoop' and of course 'Brideshead Revisted. I went through a Waugh phase in my 20s, I think, reading everything I could by him.

Mary said...

No you've not missed it, Veronica - it's not on until the end of the month. I had that Waugh phase, too!