Thursday 30 November 2017




Enjoyed a long, 17th century wallow last night so I can report that the TV adaptation of The Miniaturist is simply gorgeous, in fact rather better than the book because when you're ooh-ing over period detail you forget to notice that the story isn't very convincing. (The novel has creative writing course stamped all over it.)

Romola Garai is terrific as the chilly Calvinistic sister-in-law. And I was in historic baking heaven, freeze-framing every shot of marchpane and biscuits ... I noticed in the credits that it's the same food stylist who did upstairs/downstairs in Downton Abbey. I know. I'm obsessed. I'm about to embark on my Christmas baking - marchpanes, spongata, pistachio hedgehogs ... book your dentist's appointment now, he'll be busy in January!

4 comments:

Cosy Books said...

Sounds irresistible, Mary! That's my weekend viewing sorted and I'll be sure to have a mince pie on hand. I'm going to be on the naughty list at my dentist...what was I thinking booking an appointment just before Christmas? Off to cancel....

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

I have this book but haven't read it yet. I volunteer at our main library on Tuesday afternoons shelving the books; we have four copies of this book and they have not moved off the shelf since I started in early September.

I've always wondered what Marchpane was. I imagine it as a type of marzipan....

mary said...

Not until after Christmas, Darlene - sorry! Funny you should mention dentists ... this afternoon I came across a caveat from a writer in 1600, warning ladies against having their teeth scaled at the barber's. If the barber is too enthusiastic, a gentlewoman - that's you,Darlene - might 'be forced to borrowe a rank of teeth to eate her dinner, unlesse her gummes doe help her the better.'
I have attached it as a dire warning at the end of my tooth-rotting recipes!
If the worst comes to the worst, I hope you can afford a rank of teeth of your own ...

I'm sure you'll shift those books after it's been on TV, Veronica. I think it was quite a best-seller when it came out, but the story was rather implausible - it was the period detail that I enjoyed.
Marchpane is exactly the same as marzipan. Made with rosewater and then baked.

Gina said...

I wasn't over enamoured with the book but the adaptation sounds interesting... like you say, all the best bits!