Saturday 28 July 2018



I found myself re-reading Elizabeth Taylor this week ... dank mists, rain on laurels, bronze chrysanthemums in slimy water ... it seemed like heaven. I'm so not a summer person; I'd like to be - but I'm the one wilting and sighing, 'I'm too hooottttt.'
So I've been reading in cold baths and hiding away in air-conditioned cinemas as even sun-worshipping friends are admitting they've had enough.  But oh, no! Mamma Mia 2 ... what a disappointment! Only 3* from me. Clearly, they'd used up all the best songs in the first film - and now Meryl Streep has died (but how? strangled by a giant Greek squid? I needed to know!) and Cher, three years older in real life, plays her mother. I know we're supposed to be impressed by Cher but all I could think was that her mortician/embalmer deserves an Oscar. And this time it's not even filmed in Greece which is a bit cheeky given that they're virtue-signalling over the economic plight of Greek fishermen.
It all fell a bit flat. Actually, far and away the best bit was the dopey young intern from W1A  - sorry, can't be bothered googling his name - who has all the gauche, twitchy mannerisms of a young Colin Firth.

Unfortunately, I can't get the music out of my head - and for days now life has been conducted to a soundtrack of ABBA. Which seems to fit every domestic scenario:

Look into his angel eyes
I hope that these scones will rise
Bu-ut - they're not nice - if they taste of - baaaking powder ...

I am available to write the lyrics of Mamma Mia 3. For a fee.



I went to this on my own, knowing very little about it - and honestly, there's no point phoning a friend on a sunny evening to say, 'Fancy a low-budget movie about Jehovah's Witnesses in Manchester?'
It turned out to be one of the best films I've seen all year. Brilliant acting - so real it's almost like a documentary - and absolutely gripping. (Despite the desperately uncomfortable seats at the BFI.) It's about a mother and two daughters, torn apart when one sister refuses a blood transfusion and the other tries to escape from the sect and is shunned. Their lives - especially as a low-status, single-parent family of females - are completely controlled by the Elders, men in cheap suits who in any other walk of life would be utterly insignificant.  It's heartbreaking - fascinating - sympathetic - and occasionally laugh-out-loud funny. The director is a former-Witness and his mother has refused even to watch the trailer for his film.
At the end of the film, they asked if there were any former-Witnesses in the audience. I thought perhaps a dozen people would raise their hands - but it was more like half the cinema.
5* from me. Brilliant reviews everywhere. Still haven't convinced anyone else to go!

6 comments:

Lucille said...

Poor, poor Cher. It would have been kinder to wheel her out on a trolley than make her walk let alone dance.
I wanted to leave but my husband claimed he was enjoying it.
I was distracted by all the wrong things.
And yes, why did Donna predecease her reprobate mother?
How did she get that staircase rebuilt?
Why was there a stallion in the cellar?
How did Sophie fit all those outfits into such a small suitcase?
How many babies were employed for the Christening scene?
Why did Celia Imrie have to trot out her Scottish accent?
How long will the child next to me take to finish her bag of crisps and box of juice?

Mary said...

Poor Cher - my first thought was that her knees look even dodgier than mine! But good on your husband for enjoying it in the right spirit, Lucille. I'm afraid I was snorting all the way through. And I think that same child was sitting behind me. (Call me old-fashioned but is it really suitable??? Donna was a bit free with her favours.)

Lucille said...

I cringed several times on her behalf. She can't have been more than eight years old.

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Mamma Mia not for me I'm afraid but I do like Abba's music.. Apostasy sounds more like my type of film and I've read and heard excellent reviews. It will have disappeared by the time I get back....

Mary said...

Maybe you'll catch up with it later, Veronica - it's fairly limited cinema distribution outside of London.

Simon T (StuckinaBook) said...

I actually preferred Mamma Mia 2 to the original because it took itself much less seriously! Though sad that the divine Julie Walters didn't get a solo.