Thursday 14 February 2019



On my way to meet a friend for a film tonight, I stopped at the Portland Gallery to see their Mary Fedden exhibition which is always a joy. The green painted chair in this painting was on sale; only £6,900! it came from her studio. The painting considerably more - but wouldn't it be fun to buy both? (Although I have artist friends who would rescue a chair like that from a skip and paint it for pennies.)



I always like playing, "Which one would I choose?" Something bathed in sunshine. I'm reading about the Durrells in Corfu and this has the right feel, although it's Brittany.



Or one with flowers and fruit? (The exhibition closes on Friday if you're tempted.)



I love gallery browsing in this part of town; there's always something ... and this caught my eye in a gallery window. 'Looks like a Frith,' I thought and went in for a closer look. Then I remembered that I'd seen it not so long ago at the Royal Academy. (They're all there, Trollope, Gladstone. Millais, Oscar Wilde.) It's on the market for the first time in 135 years.
I'm cheeky, so I asked the price. £9 million.
Gulp. Makes a little Mary Fedden seem quite achievable.

10 comments:

Lesley Anne said...

Oh how I envy your week. Christian Dior and Mary Fedden. What could be more perfect?? I love Mary Fedden and am so annoyed I didn't know the exhibition was on (I was in London last week and went to the Bonnard exhibition with a chum. It did nothing for either of us. Definitely team Picasso when it comes to evaluating PB).

I would choose the painting with the watermelon and figs...We own some MF (signed) prints but none of them are as jolly as that painting.

Mary said...

Sorry I didn't give more advance warning, Lesley-Anne. It was only on for a couple of weeks. (You should get on their mailing list!) And sorry you didn't care for Bonnard. I thought it was interesting setting him in a political context; perhaps over-thinking it, but interesting,

Cosy Books said...

Watermelon and figs for me, Mary! So much cheerier to look at than the sinister icicle dangling just outside my kitchen window.

Mary said...

It's like the first day of spring here, Darlene - but that's rubbing it in!

Anonymous said...

There is always something so deliciously fresh about Fedden's work, I really enjoy it.

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

I had not come across Fedden before but I like what you've shown here and I shall look her work up. £6,000+ does seem reasonable after all!

Lucille said...

I painted a Thonet chair green. It's yours for £690. Gutted to have missed that exhibition.

Pam said...

Oh, go on. Treat yourself, Mary.

Vintage Reading said...

I like the painting of the men looking out of the sea. Corfu is featuring in my reading, too. Mary Stewart's This Rough Magic. I had no idea Corfu was Shakespeare's 'magic island' in The Tempest.

Mary said...

I don't think I've ever read any Mary Stewart, Nicola. Would you recommend?