Monday 2 November 2020

Well, I squeaked in there just in the nick of time - and I'd booked back in August as single seats were at a premium. So sad to see theatres closing - just as they'd begun to re-open. And clearly much thought and planning has gone into keeping audiences safe. There was literally yards of space between me and the next person ... oh, I know it's not economically viable, but while it lasts I'm enjoying segregation from fidgeters, sweet rustlers and those who risk dehydration if they don't gulp water like farmyard animals! I had doubts about the play - I only booked because it was Ralph Fiennes and because it was the first theatre to open. And I'd love to see something frivolous and shallow and fun rather than all the worthy stuff that is being programmed. But actually - I was gripped, despite the iffy reviews. Only an actor of Fiennes' calibre could have pulled it off. He was so good he put the fear of god into me about being stricken - and I wonder how many of the audience left the theatre thinking they'd never dare to venture out again. Unfortunately, by the time I got home that decision had been made for me - and I spent Sunday buying whisky supplies and new knickers in M&S as shopping for inessential knickers reverts to being a criminal activity. But I did my best to support the arts last week and also ventured to see Alan Bennett's Lady in the Van at Windsor. I am truly ashamed to say that I nodded off ... it was just a bit flat. Okayish. Lacking a Dame Maggie for sure. Windsor felt like a ghost town without tourists and the bottom has clearly fallen out of the nodding corgi market.

5 comments:

Pam said...

It's all very rubbish, isn't it? Our actor son-in-law's company, like so many, were just about to start putting on live shows again. One wonders when... if... it will all end.

Mary said...

I feel so sorry for anyone whose livelihood depends on it, Pam. It has been great being back in a theatre recently - well, I got carried away and I've been three times this week. Everybody seemed so thrilled to be there. And each theatre - old or new - managed social distancing, etc without a hitch. I do think it's rubbish bracketing theatres/museums with pubs! And golf courses, for heaven's sake - although I gather they might get a reprieve. Not being a golf-player, I've no axe to grind - but where's the difference between playing golf and going for a walk together?

Pam said...

Oh really, golf? Yes, I think it's ridiculous to ban golf, though we personally loved having the freedom to roam the beautiful course near us during the last lockdown, so I'm half (meanly) hoping that it might happen again here... .

Lucille said...

And if I might join in here I must say that I am mighty glad that our local golf course has been reclaimed and is now used by so many more people - walkers, children, runners, cyclists, dog walkers, picnickers and wild swimmers. The restored walled garden had dozens of pairs of people sitting at either end of benches in the sunshine this afternoon.
Our actor daughter-in-law has just recorded from the back bedroom an episode of With Great Pleasure and our granddaughter has sung carols as her debut for The Archers. It remains to be seen whether they will be aired! One day we will pack away the studio mattresses and clothes rails and shake our heads in wonder at the memory of this year. But not yet a while.

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

I'm so glad you've managed to get back to the theatre and see some performances. It is such a terrible shame that many may have to close permanently thanks to this virus.

As for the golf courses it is strange but I have to say I have enjoyed walking through my local one and not having to worry about stray golf balls being aerially launched in my direction...