Tuesday 8 March 2022

The crocuses (croci?) are looking splendid at Ham House. And at Kew Gardens on Sunday the magnolias against a blue sky had more 'wow' than the showy orchid festival. (Where I was sorely tempted to push a couple of preening, pouting Instagrammers into the pond! Wouldn't that have made a photo opportunity!) First chilly picnic of the year - if a sandwich and a hunk of fruit cake on a bench counts as a picnic. Kew Gardens Orangery serves the nastiest cup of lukewarm tea in London.

8 comments:

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

The croci look amazing!

My cousin and I had a cream tea in the cafe with tables outside and it was delicious.
xxx

Mary said...

You got lucky, Vronni! When I sat down with my horrible tea, I remembered that it was just as horrible last time I was there. No hot water - dirty mugs.
There's a posher cafe opposite the Palm House - maybe that's better?

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Yes that was the one!

Mary said...

I thought about walking back to that one- but it was quite a way and I was flagging! Next time.

Lucille said...

It does count as a picnic. I take my own provisions and sit by the witch hazels behind the Mediterranean garden at this time of year.
I much preferred the Pavilion cafe up by the Pagoda before they messed around with it.

Mary said...

That's a nice sheltered spot - and the witch hazels were loooking lovely, Lucille.

Vintage Reading said...

Love a Crocus! Emily Bronte said that the crocus was always the first spring flower at Wuthering Heights.

Mary said...

They're very cheering when you see a great mass of them, Nicola.