Saturday 4 March 2023

For the past few days I've been completely engrossed by Celia Paul's imaginary correspondence with Gwen John, after reading her memoir Self-Portrait a few weeks ago, far and away my best books of the year so far. Both had obsessive affairs with more powerful male artists, Rodin in John's case and Lucian Freud in Paul's. She met Freud when she was an 18-year-old art student, fresh out of boarding school, and he was 55 and her tutor - and I felt enraged on her behalf, longing to grab the dirty old bugger by the scruff of his neck and kick him down the 80 stairs that led to the spartan flat he bought for her opposite the British Museum. And also wondered why her deeply religious parents - her father was a bishop - were so passive and ineffectual ... her mother even encouraging her to get pregnant by Freud who had who knows how many children by various wives, lovers and muses already. Celia was in thrall to him until he died in 2011, long after the passion was spent, out of fear that he would take any resentment out on their son.
Gwen John, A Corner of the Artist's Room in Paris I was at the British Museum this week. The art exhibition I'd planned to see didn't really grab me - though coincidentally I came across an etching of Celia by Freud - and so I drifted off instead to the amazing Sutton Hoo treasure which I hadn't visited since seeing the film; well, probably not even since reading the book. But it's hard to love the BM and rise above the crowds and the noise and so after an hour or so I found myself out on Great Russell Street again. And there was Celia Paul's plane tree that she can see from her studio ...
And so I loitered on the pavement, gazing up at the mansion block that used to be a temperance hotel - 8s6d a night, with dinner - where Gwen John's lover, Rodin, once stayed, and wondered which curtainless window was the artist's studio ...
And thought what an ascetic, driven, lonely life she leads up there above the trees.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How strange and interesting your post was to me. On Saturday morning I noted that you had added Letters to Gwen John by Celia Paul to your reading list. I so admire Gwen John but had never heard of Celia Paul so looked her up. On Saturday afternoon I visited The Atkinson Art Gallery in Southport to see a small exhibition , The Poetry of Trees. There was another exhibition of self portraits and guess what I came across ,,, a small and haunting self portrait by Celia Paul; head only. On Sunday morning I found and read your post about the book. You included a favourite painting of mine: A Corner of the Artist’s Room in Paris. My home town is Sheffield and that’s where, aged about 15, I first saw this painting. I have an old framed card from all this years ago but I realised I was not looking at the same picture. Fearing the home for the bewildered beckoning, I turned to the wonderful ArtUK website. It turns out that your version has the window open and no umbrella and can be found in Cardiff while mine, window shut plus umbrella, is still safely in The Mappin, Sheffield. I had no idea there were two paintings of her Corner. Perhaps there are more. I so enjoyed the coincidence and the searches. Thanks, as ever.

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

How lovely, two book recommendations and an exhibition. Thank you. I thought the last painting was particularly lovely. I love Lucian Freud's art work but what a bast**d he seemed to be to the women in his life. Male artists got away with far too much - and possibly still do...
xxx

Lucille said...

I’m afraid there were still predatory tutors when I was an art student in the 70s. Some still living so will mention no names and I was mercifully overlooked in any case!

Mary said...

What a lovely comment, Anonymous! It is strange how once you tune into an artist or writer, they do seem to crop up again and again - that's happened to me many times. But you're so much more observant than I am. As soon as you mentioned the umbrella, I realised that of course it was the painting featured in the book ... I'd noticed it particularly as I didn't think that Gwen was quite the frilly parasol type! And then I just dragged the other painting onto my post without properly looking! Of course, the light is different, a book on the table instead of flowers ... I'm hanging my head! If you look at the Cardiff site, you'll see that we're not the first to be confused ... quite a few comments, and even the curator who answered the original query seemed unaware of the Sheffield painting. But it is now etched on my brain forever!
I've never been to the Mappin gallery - once to the Graves, but that was many years ago.

Vronni, that's not a painting, it's a photograph ... but so painterly, isn't it? It really catches the mood.
I'm sure they still exist, Lucille - although perhaps not quite so much a culture of turning a blind eye these days.

Simon T - StuckinaBook said...

I am keener than ever to read Celia Paul's book, which has been on my watchlist for a long time - I don't know her work well, but I am ready for her to turn up everywhere!

Mary said...

Hello, Simon - lovely to hear from you - I was thinking of you and Rachel and Darlene as of course my next stop was the LRB cafe for coffee and cake! Yes, both of Celia Paul's books are worth shuffling to the top of your list!