Friday 7 April 2023

This was fun and colourful last night, a jolly start to an Easter weekend. It's about a former career woman living her 1950s housewife fantasy - and I had to laugh when this Persephone book got a mention. I am a sucker for Flylady schemes that I feel sure will transform my life and am perfectly capable of sticking with them for ooh, at least two days. In the interests of ignoring the mess on my desk, I have been browsing Kay Smallshaw's 1915 book You and Your Home - and actually, she was way ahead of her time. It has sections on divorce and separation, piloting an aeroplane (!)as well as furnishing your house for £200 (if only!)and points of etiquette ... who knew that curry should be served for luncheon only and eaten with a dessert spoon and fork - so a chicken jalfrezi on the way home from the pub is just rude.

No comments: